Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Assignment # 9

Can you raed tihs?   
  i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid; aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
  The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I came across an article from Cambridge University and I couldn't believe that I was reading this part of the article with an ease. It really brought up the point of "Is spelling Important" I always grew up knowing how to spell words and spell them correctly and when Cambridge came with this article saying as long as the first and last word were in place, than the human mind can read these 'words' but yet again, no one will ever write a paper or anything spelling the words like this. We are all accustomed to writing a specific way and I doubt that way of writing will ever change but the mind does interesting stuff that we don't know. Plus, its crazy enough trying to spell check it in Microsoft and all these red lines under the word occurs in almost ever word you have on the page

1 comment:

  1. This actually raises a lot of really interesting questions. The conventions of spelling used to be be a lot more lax than they currently are (i.e. there was more than one acceptable way to spell a given word), and the fact that even words drastically misspelled are readable raises the question of why we have such strict spelling conventions. But then again, in the age when most writing is spell-checked, the majority of spelling errors can interfere with comprehension as they often become word choice errors(e.g. begging instead of beginning).

    ReplyDelete